Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Blank Space in My Head

What a great dump!

The recent way-lotza snow is really nice. But then, my work is close by and I have all the modern conveniences within striking range. On Saturday and Sunday I did a quick (and I mean QUICK) run through five different cemeteries but none were plowed so I didn't stick around waiting to get stuck in the snow. And my boots aren't exactly waterproof either.

Cemeteries have been my refuge lately as I struggle to find photographic material with the little time I have available. City sweeps are hit-and-miss, but there always seems to be something in the cemetery. The other day I saw a hawk glide in and I tried to track the bird but to no avail. I recall one Sunday morning a few years ago, driving through a cemetery, I spotted a large hawk just standing there on the ground. I stopped the car and the bird did not move. Strange. After shooting off a few shots, the bird did a lift off and it was only then that I noticed a dead squirrel in tow.

I need some photographic excitement. I also need some more time.

Detroit.

I read an interesting article over the weekend about Detroit's plans to shrink the city. The major, Dave Bing, wants to draw in some of the residents to more centralized areas to cut back on city service expenses. He has some incentive programs in mind. I recall driving through sections of Detroit, particularly on the east side, and seeing lone houses, or just a few houses, occupying what used to be populated streets. It looked like a war zone, from the loser's perspective. But that is not what the article was about...nope. Theme: bottom feeders. The story was about entrepreneurs who have been gobbling up land cheap in Detroit and who stand in the way of the city's plans to move forward. And much of the land has been carefully selected and sits in areas that are planned for development. It's not a stretch of the imagination to realize Detroit is bankrupt. Now, in order to move ahead with their plans to shrink, they will have to deal with these land grabbers who will no doubt be holding the land hostage, wanting to get rich. I know this is the way of capitalism, but something about this really offends me. It's one thing when life is in easy-flow mode but just now we're all struggling.

Detroit just ended a fleecing by it's former mayor Kwami who helped himself to quite a bit of the city's resources, but he's in prison now. Kwami was tending the store when I was roaming around the city starting in 2004 taking pictures of unbelievable filth and destruction. The city is clean compared to what I used to see on the streets of Detroit, and Mr. Mayor was helping himself, dipping into the city till. Naughty naughty, mr. former mayor. How do you live with yourself now?

I'm not a very good capitalist. I don't care about the bottom line and too often that bottom line is fed by someone else getting shafted.

I continue my quest to find time, and subject matter for some photos. There has to be something I can shoot besides dead things and Detroit, which isn't quite dead yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment