Sunday, April 24, 2011

Just Waiting for Something to Happen

I'm still on the shutter button, ready to pounce if something interesting passes my line of vision. However...I feel like I'm in a 'hold' pattern, waiting, not sure what's coming next. Politics plays a part in my little drama, with so much upheaval everywhere, with the rich moving behind the green curtain, getting ready to pull it shut and start running the show they way they've wanted to for a very long time. I think this has an impact on my photography, all those years I spent combing the littered streets of Detroit, documenting some dirty little secrets that some did not want revealed. However, the whole nation followed suit and what you see in my gallery can be found in so many major cities in the U.S. of A.

The rich (and corporations) need more tax cuts so they can create jobs for us little folk. I'm still waiting for the jobs to appear from eight years of tax cuts already. And I'm wondering if and when the public will ever wake up and smell the scam.

Oh wait, this is my photo blog. Sorry about that. I guess my feelings about politics are like eating a huge portion of cabbage soup...something is bound to escape.

Two of my two major cameras both need attention and I'll have to straddle them into the shop (a second time for the Fuji) but that shouldn't cramp my style too much because I do have a pocket camera on hand and I could dust off the Rebel XTi that I never did like. I just don't like having to put my mug behind the lens and look into that little hole in order to take my shot. It's not a very safe thing to do actually when I'm in the big city, roaming, looking...I'm also looked at and people wonder what I'm all about. Sometimes I'm met with hostility.

Ah, Detroit. Besides the trash on the streets, broken glass on the pavement is a major issue. Seeing flattened tires on cars parked on the streets is very common. Chuck holes are always nice, too. I've spent thousands of dollars keeping on the road, shooting in Detroit. It's not a nice place in which to break down either.

Besides the glass and trash, in some areas there is the strong smell of natural gas. And on the east side, the neighborhoods are really shrinking. One area, around Chene St., entire blocks of houses are gone. Too bad those fields can't be crops to feed the people in the city. What a concept...a neighborhood run farm that feeds the local people, with good quality cheap food. Eating in the hood is not a gourmet experience, unless you like fast food and whatever you can buy (over-priced at that) from the party store.

It's not very fun sometimes, living in the city.

I'm looking for projects and after a quick dip into the city last Sunday, I am thinking I might have to get down maybe once or twice a month. With gas prices fueling the bank accounts of speculator investors these days, I just can't afford the capricious wanderings in the city.

I only hope it doesn't get so bad that I'll be confined to only shooting within walking distance of my humble home.

No comments:

Post a Comment