Thursday, April 7, 2011

Let's Be Frank

While I'm trying to stir things up and renew my interest in taking photos, I have been secretly going back to my roots and spending a lot of thinking/reading time on the topic, perusing photography monographs. I'm working on a huge Diane Arbus book with lots of information and plenty of photos, went through a new Wm. Eggleston book, For Now. Also, I've been studying modern color photos in a few other books, and my most recent project has been studying Robert Frank's Seminal monograph, The Americans, an in-depth study of how the book came about and the thought behind how it was assembled. The massive volume I am reading is filled with detail. This book started a whole revolution of street photography, or at very least was one of the founding volumes. I suppose Wm. Klein's book came first, but with a totally different style of photos. Frank's The Americans was published in the USA around 1960 and didn't get great reviews...at first. It's a fantastic book, one I've been pouring over for years.

Another favorite photographer is Walker Evans and I've been paging through a few of his collections, too.

And when I'm not reading, I'm writing, clearing my thoughts with my trusty Sailor fountain pen, in my less-than-trusty Moleskine. You don't know that I have a fetish for anything related to communication and used to collect fountain pens. Well, it's true.

If you view my gallery, you know of my fascination for religious statuary. I'm a private person and would never wear my belief system on my sleeve, I have no bumper stickers on my car, and I don't even have former girlfriend's names carved into my arm. Religion and overly zealous patriotism (super patriotism) are timely subject matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment