Monday, March 28, 2011

On the Road Again...

I had forgotten how much fun photography can be! Yesterday, for the first time in months, I set out in the morning on a mission to stalk out some photos. I used to do that tri-weekly, with three devoted days to photo trolling. But circumstances have forced me to change all that. I still get out, take a quick drive down to a cemetery, etc., but I have not been in my shooting zone, that's for certain.

Yesterday I got back into the groove. Detroit has been very, very good to me as a source of interesting subject matter, but for now, I'm not doing Detroit. The suburbs don't really interest me that much, since finding death and destruction is a bit harder. But I have an ace in my back pocket because besides death/destruction, I like quirky. I can find that in the 'burbs.

One good thing about the 'burbs is that I am much more relaxed shooting people. If they catch me, so what? In Detroit, there is the possibility they might shoot back.

I still have hundreds and hundreds of never-seen photos from Detroit. One thing about being an obsessive like I am is that I took thousands and thousands of shots. Granted, not all ones I'd like to carve my name onto, but some stuff I wouldn't mind showing. But I'm definitely feeling quirky at the moment, plus I have a few projects that always seem to hold my interest, like a fascination with what people do to advertise who they are to the world, be it carved wooden figures on one's property, or a Virgin Mary set up on the lawn. Or flags. Signs. I also like indications of rituals. I do plan on shooting up the 'burbs for a while, so that is my plan of action. I have a few other projects up my sleeve as well, but no use spilling the beans, huh?

I do plan on visiting Detroit in the near future, too. After spring hits, the cemeteries pretty much die for me because of the abundance of life! However, I will troll those sacred grounds periodically, just to keep in touch with the dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment