Saturday, October 1, 2011

Equal Time

It's 'that' time of year again...when the forces of light and dark are equally balanced on the equinox. The yearly cycle has been a fascination for years. Many years in fact. It probably isn't evident from my photo gallery, but I am quite taken with Nature, the diversity and just the whole process of life...and death. Now we are into my season, the season of colors, of harvest, of chilly temps and hot apple cider, of spicy squash soup, and even the college football games that mean nothing to me. Then after, Nature strips. Black and white. Everything.

I even enjoy early winter and the most uplifting day of the year has to be the winter solstice, when the forces of darkness have reached its zenith and the forces of light are being to wax. If the temperature is not overly cold, it can be such a wonderful day/night. I sometimes wonder what this day was like at a stone site eons ago, like Knoweth in Ireland (never been there), when on the morning of the solstice, a beam of light travels down the passageway of the entrance, hits a special crystal, and the entire inner chamber is filled with a burst of light, signaling the event.

The least exciting season change for me has to be summer. How odd, the forces of light reach their maximum and the hot temperatures are yet to follow.

The whole planet is a living organism onto itself, breathing in for the winter and breathing out for the summer, as new life bursts forth from the earth. It is an amazing process, something I think about often.

1 comment:

  1. Another excellent post. Well written. Autumn is my second favorite season. Winter is my preferred season. but like you Summer is my least favorite season. Summer for me just becomes a bland blurring mirage of heat and activity.

    ReplyDelete