Monday, January 31, 2011

the Dead of Winter

Circumstances have caused me from taking a break from my rips through Detroit for photos of the former Motor City. One factor, though not the critical one, is the time crunch I now wade in. My time behind the lens and at the computer is very limited. If you are watching my stuff, and I am watching yours...and I have missed commenting on some of your photos (the ones I really like), it's just that I do not have the time right now.

Groups. I'm very busy in what time I have to build up some of Flickr groups I administer. And what time I do have, has me roaming through nearby cemeteries, taking photos of the dead of winter. I am particularly fascinated by the rituals we engage in regarding the dead, the grave decorations. It is really challenging to lose someone close. I struggle with those feelings myself, and not all loses are human. How people remember these loses, decorating graves with incredible care, and in some cases, incredibly bad taste. Over indulgence catches my eye. If one over does it, does that indicate the level of love and feeling of lose? (Obviously, no.)

During appropriate seasons, I visit two sites of over-indulgence. One is a Halloween display where the citizen fills his yard with thousands of dollars worth of life-size rubbery ghouls, ghosts, decapitators, etc. It's almost too much to take in, kind of like visiting a flea market and seeing all sorts of objects on the table, all askew. If it was my lawn, I think I'd set up a few really excellent scenes instead. The other over-indulgent location is one I haven't documented much in photos, a double (or possibly triple) lot filled with Christmas decor, also so randomly placed that it is difficult to create fantasy z storyline while viewing. However, when the scene is lit at night, it is spectacular, much like how a carnival looks at night.

Cemeteries are easy for me and right now I need easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment